Three months ago today, the LGEA stepped up its lobbying work for the Invest in Infrastructure, Invest in Communities campaign by launching its send a letter tool. The tool was designed to make it easier for LGEA members to request their local MPs’ support of the campaign, which is calling for the recognition of engineers across NSW.
The tool allows members, or anyone who supports the campaign, to input their postal code, email address and full name. The system then automatically finds their local MP and generates an email to them from the member asking for their support of the campaign, which specifically calls for:
• Each Council to have a Chief Engineer
• The introduction of a registration scheme
• Support for cadetships throughout the industry
Three months on, the LGEA team are overwhelmed by the response to the campaign from both engineers and NSW MPs. Over 120 letters have been generated and 11 MPs have declared their support – some have signed a petition, some have agreed to support when debated in Parliament and some have gone one step further and submitted a Notice of Motion to Parliament.
The NSW MPs to show their support for the reforms so far are:
• Kate Washington MP – Member for Port Stephens
• Jodie Harrison MP – Member for Charlestown
• Clayton Barr MP – Member for Cessnock
• Edmond Atalla MP – Member for Mount Druitt
• Tim Crakanthorp MP – Member for Newcastle
• Alex Greenwich MP – Member for Sydney
• Pru Goward MP – Member for Goulburn
• Philip Donato MP – Member for Orange
• Tamara Smith MP – Member for Ballina
• John Sidoti MP – Member for Drummoyne
• Greg Warren MP – Member for Campbelltown
As the momentum of this campaign continues to mount, the LGEA is currently calling for members to meet their local MPs face-to-face to ask for their support. If you are interested in getting involved, we encourage you to contact email@example.com with an expression of interest and we will arrange a convenient time for you to meet with your local MP and an LGEA representative.